Artists these days focus so heavily on their craft that they forget about the business and marketing side of the music business. Understanding the basic copyright law, marketing trends, and varying aspects of the business can provide you with a leg up.
Brandon Jackson is a marketing and branding expert, author, and host of the Music Business Dreams podcast.
Brandon got his start in the music business as a marketing intern at Grammy winning producer 9th Wonder's indie label, Jamla Records. There he learned firsthand just how much work it takes to make it in music.
In 2011, he founded KDMR Music, a company that provides education and consulting services to those interested in building successful careers in the music industry. Through his podcast and YouTube Channel, he has provided free music business education to thousands of independent musicians in over 22 countries.
Brandon also provides marketing, branding and photography services to non-music clients as a freelancer. Through this work, he has helped clients including Blue Cross Blue Shield, Jones Lang LaSalle and media personality LaLa Anthony to extend their brands well into the future.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- 9th Wonder
- Jamla Records
- Morgan Page
- Music Marketing Guidebook (Enter LENNON for 50% off!)
- 3:14: About Brandon Jackson
- 3:50: How Brandon got started in the music industry
- 10:21: Taking 'no' at face value and not moving forward
- 11:10: What was your next step after the Jamla Records internship?
- 15:35: What were a few things you learned from doing artist management? Did you have any failures? What did you learn from that?
- 21:02: Do you still actively write your own music?
- 21:56: How important is it to build sincere connections with fans instead of using them as numbers on a scoreboard?
- 25:00: Being a good person, especially when you're connecting with fans
- 26:40: What are a few things artists can be doing to give back to their fans?
- 33:54: Should artists have some background knowledge in the music business, or should they let people who know what they're doing take care of the business side of things?
- 37:54: Don't get taken advantage of!
- 38:45: Should an artist put all of their eggs in one basket? Why or why not?
- 41:53: Technology is always changing
- 43:00: It's okay to work as a barista to support your dreams
- 46:20: People are always buying unnecessary material items
- 46:47: There are many avenues for income from your music. What are a few of them? What is drop shipping?
- 53:15: Should artists have merchandise and why should it be easily accessible?
- 58:55: How you can keep up with Brandon Jackson and KDMR Music
Connect with me:
- Website: https://www.lennoncihak.com
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/lennoncihak
- Mailing List: http://eepurl.com/dlYpxT
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lennoncihak/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/LennonCihak
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lennoncihak/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5eX_uxAUIwBC0gyKwCbqtw
- Guest Request: https://goo.gl/forms/8zs61IYiIXMLjFpX2
Connect with Brandon Jackson: